Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It's the Small Things

Well, I am home from China and back in the office. And I know that I have been neglecting you internet. I am aware that my posts have been random and scattered like bird shit on a Chevy. I will try to do better. Really. So you can stop sending me hate mail, okay?

My trip was productive. The thing about trade shows is that you either love them or hate them. Guess how I feel? Unfortunately, they are a necessary evil. So, being the glass half full gal that I am, I chose to focus on those things that made me laugh.

Take the medical supplies portion of the fair. I walked into the hall and booth after booth presented an array of products from stone massage slippers to portable blood pressure devices. There wasn't much that made me chuckle, until this:


Now I know that you are looking at this picture and wondering what in the world I might find funny. Look closely. This was a medical devices booth. They were peddling everything from ventilators to blood glucose strips. See it now? Maybe this will help:

Yep. Those would be COFFINS!! And cremation urns on the back shelf. Talk about a one-stop shop. Heck, if they can't cure you, they're happy to help dispose of your diseased arse. With a completely straight face, I had one enthusiastic sales rep extol the virtues of the latest and greatest "earth friendly" version: cardboard. (far right of the picture..the water bottle is a nice touch)

"Very popular", he said. Yeah, I'll bet.

Later on that day, we had to make our way back to Hong Kong via the train. I LOVE taking the train. It's comfortable, equipped with toilets that have seats and refreshments are served. The absolute best part is the waiting area where everyone has to congregate before boarding. It is here that I plug in my iPod and unabashedly stare watch people from all over the world. I've already gone on about how differently European men dress from Americans. If they were all to land on US soil tomorrow, the gay men in this country would be in an uproar because metrosexual Europeans jam the gaydar, especially when they wear capri pants. What I admire most, though, is that no matter how eclectic the dress, European boys have got some serious style.

Unlike this poor woman who was either blind or in serious need of a mirror.

Excuse me ma'am. Where did you say you parked your broom?

The last night that I was in Hong Kong, my friends took me to eat in a district known for fresh seafood. All of the restaurants are fairly similar in price and offerings so the second that we got out of the taxi, we were approached by numerous people trying to lure us into their restaurants. We walked through narrow alleyways that were lined with fish tanks. The ground was soaking wet and the air was pungent with the scent of the sea. Everywhere I looked, I saw these:

It's a Geoduck Clam. My friends called it an Elephant Nose. I'm sure it's tasty but I just couldn't get my head around the appearance. Just another phallic looking treat from the ocean to keep the sea cucumber company. Every time I look at that picture, I giggle.

So now that the glow of international travel has faded, it's the small absurdities that help to make it all tolerable. I suppose I'm fortunate that my mind is a giant junk yard because everyday, while sifting through the garbage, I usually find a treasure or two and who can really ask for more?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

One Crazy Chick! said...

OMG!

The coffins made me spit out my diet coke!

And, also brought back a memory from when my grandfather died and my sister and I were in charge of making all the arrangements. We went the funeral home and were browsing the caskets and books of caskets.

Suddenly I turned the page and there was a cardboard casket. Next to it scribbled, "Not reccomended for viewing." I lost it. And your post brought me right back and I still can't stop laughing at viewing someone in a cardboard casket.

A little sad, but earth friendly.

Me said...

Kandace,
The Chinese are a practical bunch, aren't they? I'm a little in awe of how much better they deal with the realities of life and death than we do.
I'm going to insist on the cardboard coffin for myself. It will burn so much better in the kiln, don't you think?