Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It's January

Hi there.

Happy New Year!

Been a long time, eh?

Sorry about that.  Unfortunately, I can't promise that it won't be more of the same in the foreseeable future.  I'm up to my eyeballs.

Today, I will leave to travel down to Lake Karapiro where the National Sprints for outrigger are being held.  We've been training, almost daily, for these races, since the week before Christmas and three times a week for months before that.  My daughter, Olivia, is also on a team and has had similar training commitments over the last several weeks.  It's been mental.  I wouldn't change it for the world, though.  I am most at peace with paddle in hand, on the water.

Work is....well, work.  I made a decision just before Christmas to seek a position here in New Zealand and the job search has added the kind of stress that I haven't experience for a decade.  It's like being single again and starting to date.  The dread factor is enormous.  Why would I do this?

First, my business just does not require full time hours, which has been liberating from the sense that I have had far more time available to be a homemaker but problematic because I have had far more time available to be a homemaker.  Somewhere along the way, my family forgot how to pick up after themselves, do dishes, locate the vacuum cleaner and ask for permission before making commitments that involved me as chauffeur, baker and candy apple maker.

Second, just before Christmas, we received a call from a nearby private audiology clinic telling us that my son, Dylan, had been approved for a new set of hearing aids.  We showed up on the appointed day and he was outfitted with the most technologically advanced aids available on the market today.  Our cost?  $650 NZD.

We were given a receipt for insurance purposes and the value of the aids was just a hair shy of EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Before this, Dylan had required four sets of aids in his fifteen years of life to the tune of nearly $20,000 USD.  Every time one of them started to go on the fritz, I would have a nervous breakdown because the cost of hearing aids, unlike other technologies, has not come down over the years.  It's gone up.  The New Zealand government will continue to outfit Dylan with new aids, every three years until his 22nd birthday, as long as he remains a student.  After that, they will provide help in the form of grants.   Additionally, both kids have been to see the dentist (free) and have been to doctors ($30 co-pay) and clinics and been written prescriptions ($3).  People can afford to be well, here.  I've got to have some moles looked at and for the first time in twenty years, I didn't have to plan the dermatologist's visit around my annual deductible.  I am absolutely thrilled to once again be living in a country with universal healthcare.

Long story short, this is one of my reasons for seeking employment in New Zealand.  When I looked at our family use of the "system" versus our contribution, it was clearly disproportionate.  I felt the responsible thing to do was to secure a job here to be able to pay taxes into a system that is taking such good care of us.

Finally, Dallas and I had to look at the reality of our situation.  We definitely live comfortably but if we want to own a piece of property here in New Zealand, we will have to tuck away a considerable amount of money.  The average home price in East Auckland, where I live, is north of $600,000.  To obtain a competitive mortgage here, you've got to have substantial cash as a down payment.  The only way we see this happening is with me getting a second job.

I have learned something about myself.  I'm far enough down the track in my career that I understand what skill set I can bring to a company and with that understanding, comes a certain confidence.  It's not an ego thing, though.  It's just that I won't ever settle again and frankly, the opportunity will have to be pretty decent to have me leave my home office.

So there you have it.  With the holidays, kids out of school, sport, job hunting, business in the US, vacationing, etc., etc., my plate has been pretty full.  Yesterday, I ran up to the local dairy to grab a missing ingredient for the cupcakes I was baking.  While in the shop, I saw one of Olivia's old teachers, which was a bit distracting and it had me wondering if they were back in the classroom already preparing for the kids next month or if he just happened to live in the area.  At the same time, I was texting a paddle mate regarding travel plans for today.  I paid, walked out to my car and sat in the driver's seat finishing the text.

THEN THE CHILD STRAPPED INTO THE CAR SEAT IN THE BACK STARTED CHATTERING!

I don't have a child young enough to be in a carseat.

And that is when I realized that I was sitting in someone else's car, with someone else's child.

Yep. Up to my eyeballs, kids.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

drae said...

Happy New Year, Kiwi!!


Donna in San Diego