Monday, September 3, 2007

How Do You Say Freedom?

This weekend, while contentedly in the throes of my mid-life crisis, I did two things that made me really, really happy.

First, I went to my local Harley Davidson store and signed up for the course they offer to teach you how to ride. For a reasonable sum, you get twenty five hours of instruction, a written test and a road test. After it is all said and done, I will be able to meander down to the DMV, whip out my official certificate and after a mere ten question "test", they will add motorcycle to the list of vehicles that I am able to operate. I.CAN'T.WAIT.

In preparation for the class, I was told that I had to acquire some gear.

Oh, darn.

Riding boots were the top priority and I was cautioned that I would not be allowed on a bike without them. Well alright, then. The trouble with riding boots for women is that they are just all kinds of ugly. I landed on these and they happen to look great with a pair of jeans.



The second directive was that I must wear long sleeved shirts. I am in the south and the weather is likely to stay a balmy 85 degrees well into this month so I figured that if I am going to sweat, I might as well do it in style.





While at the store, I was able to look at some of the bikes and my salesperson gave me a crash course on the different models and what he felt would be the most suitable one for me. If I decide to buy a bike, I think I've got it picked out. Of course, that is a big "if".

I have found that walking into my local Harley store has the same effect on me as a bookstore. I get all tingly and excited. A friend of mine bet me that I would be a proud Harley owner by September 15th. I'm thinking that a mid September date might be a wee bit early but who knows? Once I make up my mind on something, it's usually just a matter of time. But, I will admit that the sense of freedom is intoxicating.

The second thing I did this weekend was take an impromptu flight...in a single engine, 4 seater Cessna.



I have been toying with the idea of learning to pilot a plane since flying on a corporate jet several years ago. After slogging through commercial airports and suffering through episodes of missing luggage, raised terror alerts, late flights, mechanical issues and cramped seating, the allure of private flight captured my attention. I don't think that I am destined to purchase a plane because I'd have to sell one of my children to afford the fuel but I like the idea of knowing how to fly.

And, you can't beat this view of our local lake from 5500 feet.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You will NEVER move back to New Brunswick again will you??:(
Enjoy! Enjoy! sounds like your havin' fun girl!
love ya and miss ya
jennie