Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Chapter Ends For Now

This weekend was awful.

I know that sounds strange, particularly after I rhapsodized like a fool last Friday. Dallas and I had a watershed moment Saturday afternoon and then everything went downhill from there.

Before we were married, we discussed the fact that we were up to our eyeballs in dependants and that there were bound to be conflicts every now and then. Parenting one's own children can sometimes suck. Being a step-parent takes stress to the next level. We knew this and made the conscious decision that the relationship between husband and wife would supersede all others. As a unified front, we would face our children and gracefully usher them into adulthood.

We were ridiculously naive.

Last Saturday, Dallas began the task of cleaning teenage daughter's room and completing the rest of the few chores that we ask her to do twice a month. I had done them the previous two weekends in an effort to avoid an argument but found myself bubbling over with resentment and anger. We really do not ask much of our children and to be repeatedly disobeyed chapped my ass. Last weekend sensing that I was at the breaking point, Dallas went upstairs figuring that as long as the chores got done, it wouldn't matter who did them. In theory, that probably should have been correct but when I saw him making his way downstairs with an overflowing basket of her clothing that he intended to launder, I came unglued.

Why were the rules of the house bent for one person? Why was it okay for a single child to be so disrespectful to the process while the others were held accountable? Why in the world were we tiptoeing around the bad choices that were being made?

Emotional blackmail.

And that is the truth.

It's not like it's the first time that a father has been manipulated by his daughter. That's more common than male pattern baldness. What made our situation so challenging and tricky was that his ex encourages conflict, the reasons of which are many and varied and way too complicated to detail in this post. The end result is that my husband has, FOR YEARS, been trying to apologize for imaginary crimes and mend fences that were never broken with a daughter whose perceptions have been filtered through the distorted lens of an unbalanced mother. When displeased, teenage daughter has found that withholding communication and affection is an effective punishment for her father. Witnessing the pain that this causes my husband is nearly unbearable.

Teenage daughter is not a bad girl, though. She's not one of those wild kids that you watch walk out the front door and wonder if she'll come home sober and in one piece. She doesn't drink or do drugs and she seems oblivious to peer pressure. She is mild to the point of mousy.

So why the complaint?

I know, I know. This type of child can make you crazy because you spend an inordinate amount of time questioning your sanity. You ask yourself whether or not it really matters that she refuses to do her chores, or study, or stop texting during school hours. Is the world going to come to an end if she continues to take food into her bedroom, or repeatedly burn her brand new dresser with her flat iron? Is it that big a deal that she forgets to communicate her plans, or observe her curfew or sit for her learner's permit? And of course, the answer is no.

But when you take all of the events together, sprinkle in some attitude and add three other children who try pretty hard to follow the rules, you realize that being given the bird on a daily basis by one has the potential to bring the whole program down.

Saturday night, Dallas and I were out for dinner, subdued and still nursing the emotional wounds from the afternoon. As we discussed our situation, we concluded that we were finished with the ongoing battle. Teenage daughter was going to have to live by the rules of the house or we would be forced to take more drastic measures.

Dallas reached out to her and was met with a repugnant lack of respect that took my breath away. It was one of those exchanges that has you shaking your head and saying, "If I ever spoke to either of my parents that way.......". And it was the proverbial straw for Dallas.

Sunday morning, we packed her belongings, put them out on the drive and changed the locks on the doors. Teenage daughter now lives with her mother.

And while I feel that we have failed her in some respects, I also know that we, as parents, have a limit. Looking into the mirror and seeing an enabler staring back at you is a sick realization.

There's a reason that it's called "tough" love.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Helen said...

Oh God- you must feel awful! What I always tell myself is that if you love your child, the BEST parenting feels AWFUL. Saying no is infinitely harder than saying yes. I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

The first time my son pulled attitude about not doing something I asked, I walked away, saying nothing. Dinner was served about ten minutes later. There was an empty plate at his place, a full plate at everyone else's (Scott had a head's up). We sat down, and acted like nothing was wrong.

Lovely daughter asked where lovely son's food was. Off-hand comment from me was, "In this family, if you don't work, you don't eat." Never saw a kid disappear so quick. I followed, and watched the chore get completed, and signalled Scott. Number One Son came back to the table to a full, hot meal. Nothing was said.

Now he gets fined each time I have to repeat something (pick up the clothes, put away your shoes)- fifty cents a reminder. Chips into his allowance quite a bit. Sometimes he puts the checkmarks up, sometimes I do.

Here's the real world reality- you don't do your job, you don't have a job. No job, no food. Lose multiple jobs, get cruddy jobs- cruddy jobs equal less money- less money leads to fewer toys.

And her choice is always to switch jobs. I hope her mom loves her enough to enforce the rules.

As my exchange students have found- I don't yell, I don't scream, but cell phones go away, you walk a lot, and every minute after curfew results in your curfew decreasing by one minute. There are ways to earn extra privileges, but they make my life easier, not theirs. And I don't care if the kids or the exchange students wear dirty clothes...and I don't wash them- even the five year old does her own laundry.

Good for you two for finally doing what you said you would do. Now she can trust you. What a wonderful gift you've given her.

Doesn't it feel awful?

Thinking of you. Neither of you are ogres. Really.

Helen

Shaay said...

Dear Beth,

I'm so sorry. Your poor family!

I've had to make that decision, too. In our case, our foster son had been with us for 3 years - and he was, and is, really a great kid. But we tip-toed around his tantrums or lived in constant strife and everything was a battle....it was draining, demoralizing and awful for our marriage.

We were simply out of tools, and energy. Despite therapy, despite parenting classes. If only there were some sort of month long respite program for the parents of teenagers!

It's been 6 years. I was thinking about him this morning, before reading your post. I think about him most days. I still wonder if we did the best thing. It still hurts, and I still feel ashamed because I was so relieved once he was out of the house.

I wanted to be the perfect parent for him. I loved him in spite of the behaviors I didn't like. In the end, we had to allow him to have the consequences he'd worked so hard for.

Good parenting doesn't always feel good. We don't know how the story ends until so much later. Be kind to yourselves, and each other.

You still have the right to love your girl, even though she doesn't live there right now - and even if you can't stand her behavior.

Good luck.

~Shaay

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you two. You've done the right thing and unfortunately, I don't think it will be realized by lovely daughter anytime soon. You are both really strong and have your hearts in the right places.
Love you sista!

Holly said...

OMFG! This must have been such a gut wrenching decision to make! Our daughter is just 13, so I know harder years are ahead, but there have been so many times when I wanted to bang my head - or hers - against a wall. Not that I ever would, but sometimes you just feel like you are getting no where fast. I know that you have made the best decision for everyone alll around. She will learn from this - it has been proven time and time and time again that children gravitate towards those that set down rules, and make them live by them. They often don't seem that way, but it is what they always come back to. If and when she returns, I think the situation will be much improved upon - because she'll have a better grasp on the limits, and requirements.

In the mean time, be good to each other, because I'm sure both you and Dallas had a very hard time with all of this.