Monday, May 11, 2009

Viva Las Vegas Part One

I was pleasantly surprised with my trip to Las Vegas this time. Being with Steph made all of the difference in the world because she saw things through new eyes and it forced me to revisit all of those elements that make the city great. With my tired and jaded viewpoint, I'd forgotten how fun Las Vegas could be.

We landed just after 6pm Sunday night, got our luggage fairly quickly and rushed to our hotel to check in as we had dinner plans with our client. We stayed at the Planet Hollywood hotel, formerly the Aladdin, which is evident in the magic lamp bathroom fixtures and the purple towels.

It was just okay.

The pervasive smell of cigarettes was everywhere. Even our floor, which was supposed to be non smoking, reeked of stale smoke. The room was a good size and the lighting favourable for someone like me an aging movie star who curses the invention of HDTV but for anything practical like trying to navigate the room without bumping into furniture, it could have withstood a few more high wattage bulbs. On the plus side, it was easy on the wallet and the location was excellent. There was one more thing....

The full length mirror on the wall opposite the bathroom took 20 lbs off my physical frame.

I was delirious.

With joy.

Listen, the ration self understood that this was an optical illusion. The other larger, more influential self, didn't give a shit. I actually contemplated the mechanics necessary to take the mirror home with me but it was BOLTED to the wall. Clearly, the powers that be knew of its intoxicating effects and had planned for the nutbar who'd try to make off with it. That mirror made me feel just the slightest bit like a really famous person who surrounds herself with sycophants. Every time I looked at my reflection before heading out for the night, I could almost hear one of my imagined assistants telling me that I looked fabulous and that of course my skirt wasn't too short for a woman my age. In the same way that sexy underwear changes the way you carry yourself, that mirror did wonders for my self esteem.

After we checked in and dropped our luggage, we dined with our client at a decent steakhouse. Then, we called it a night. No gambling, no shows, no boobie cards (more on that later) and no alcohol. My halo positively RADIATED.

Monday morning, we were up at the ass crack of dawn, shoveling down a typical Las Vegas breakfast buffet (expensive, expansive and soaked in greasy goodness) and then off to the convention center to set our booth. For those of you that have worked a trade show, you know that it is grueling. The hours are long, the conversation a barely modified regurgitation from one person to the next and the food is crappy and overpriced.

After we had set the booth, Steph and I went out on the town for a little Las Vegas flavour. It did not disappoint.

In the next Vegas installment, dude looks like a lady, booby cards and a trip down memory lane.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Helen said...

What tools do you need for that mirror? I'll overnight them- we can share the mirror...one week each...so long as we aren't synchronized in our bloating, we'll be fine. So what you need? Power tools? We can do this!!!