Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Medicinal Tequila

Mexico was a dream. A lovely, sunny, white sandy, relaxing, refreshing slumber.

We arrived in Cancun just after lunch. Mexican customs was a breeze and so, we found ourselves comfortably ensconced in our ride before one o'clock. We made a detour at the first convenience store on the way and picked up a few snacks and a six pack of beer for the forty five minute drive to the hotel. I've heard it said that heroin addicts spend years chasing after the feeling they get from their very first high. Well, let me tell you. When I took that initial sip of beer and felt the ice cold sparkle wash down my throat, I experienced a moment of pure joy that I wasn't able to replicate for the rest of the week. And that's not a bad thing.

We stayed at The Royal Playa del Carmen and it was absolutely fantastic. On our honeymoon, we'd treated ourselves to a luxury resort a little farther north and didn't think that any other property would be able to live up to that experience. I'm so glad that we were wrong.

And we spent about $2000 less.

TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS. LESS.

Which makes the whole holiday that much sweeter, if possible.

Highlights:

The staff.

Fell in LOVE with them. Exchanged emails. Plan to keep in touch. Yesterday morning, back at my desk and missing my poolside lounge chair, I went out to the Royal's website and clicked on the webcam for a few minutes hoping to catch a quick glance of one of our new friends. No such luck but I'll keep trying. I find myself glancing at the clock, noting the time and thinking, "the beach volleyball game will be starting in twenty minutes" or "they'll be doing the kayak tour now if the seas aren't too rough". My wistfulness is either evidence of a good holiday or I am a total sap.

The location.
We walked out the front doors and two minutes later, we were on 5th Avenue, which is notorious in Playa del Carmen for shop after shop of really cheesy souvenirs, silver boutiques, pharmacies and vendors hawking everything from Chichen Itza tours to Cuban cigars. We bought all sorts of stuff but my favourite purchase would have to be the diuretic I got for $10 that works like a charm and makes my monthly ordeal bearable. Just say NO to tankles.

The massages.

Dallas and I went a bit overboard. We each had an hour long deep tissue combo massage on Saturday night at a place called Veronica's on 5th Ave. It was the best massage I've had. EVER. It cost us $48 total. So we booked another for Monday night with the same therapists and learned that it was no fluke. They were incredibly skilled. We decided on a third visit for Thursday night with exactly the same results. And now, we will have to go back to Playa del Carmen because I don't think there is a massage therapist on the planet that can hold a candle to my boy Magdiel. I'm officially an addict.

The two seater giant jacuzzi.

The picture doesn't give you the full scope of this contraption. You climb into it and it's like sitting in a roomy car, with water jets. We used it every single night before going to bed. The last evening that we were there, we came back to our room to find that housekeeping had drawn a bubble bath for us complete with essential oils and rose petals. The first thing we did when we got home was measure the master bath to see if one of those babies would fit. Sadly, it won't.

We did experience a few hiccups in the vacation. Dallas woke up in the wee hours of our first Sunday in Mexico with a painful, debilitating belly. The side effects were with him the whole week, which somewhat diminished his fun factor. We had a fabulous poolside server named Denys who took great care of us while we were there and she recommended tequila as medicine for Dallas.
For two or three days, he consumed several tequila concoctions and strangely enough, he DID feel loads better. Who would have thought? Although, it's not a big stretch that something that can strip paint can be equally effective at killing intestinal germies. Once we got home and the free flow of tequila was eliminated, Dallas couldn't bear it any longer and made a visit to the local clinic. I am happy to report that he is drying out on the mend.

You know, Mexico is a great bang for the buck. We're already planning our second anniversary. Only 51 more weeks to go.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the shot of you and all of your toyboys!

Holly said...

Okay, I now have absolutely NO clue why you diet. Ever. You look like a itty bitty tiny little thing next to Dallas (and no, I'm not saying Dallas is fat), and you aren't much bigger than a peanut compared to the hotel staff. Of course, it would be easier to see you if you weren't covered in men! Oh, what fun! :-)