Wednesday, October 20, 2010

At Home In The City

I love living in a bigger city again.

Bentonville was lovely with its pastoral setting and gentle, country attitude but after nearly twelve years of mind-numbing routine, I was surprised to find that moving was not as bad as I had first predicted. Oh, the actual mechanics of it was horrible but once we got here, it wasn't nearly as upsetting as I thought it was going to be. Change has a way of making you reassess exactly what ranks and what doesn't on your totem pole of priorities. It also illuminates the adaptability of the human soul.

For instance, I have learned that I don't give a flying fig about impressing anyone with the size of my house or the acquisition of material stuff. I'm ashamed to admit that there was a time when the model of the car that I drove and the square footage of my home helped to shape my self opinion. I was such an ass.

Today, I live in a big house and guess what? It's just more to keep clean. I'm not any happier in this place than I was in Bentonville although I am able to hide from my children more effectively here since it takes them longer to find me. The downside is that the rent is ridiculously large and I just know that every month when I am writing out that cheque, I'm going to be shaking my head wondering how many margaritas we could be buying on a Mexican vacation instead.

I have learned that working from home is like tasting beer for the first time. You sip, conclude it's not THAT offensive and agree to give it a try. Pretty soon, you find yourself buying it by the case and talking knowledgeably about hops and microbrews. I was worried that I'd be lonesome in a home office. I fretted that without the structure, I'd become untethered, distracted and ineffective.

Now? Well, let's just say that I cannot imagine going back into a traditional office. I am a far more productive employee. My day used to start at 4:50am. It still begins pretty early but instead of spending two hours showering, eating, packing lunches and driving, I roll out of bed, grab a cup of java and start. Some days I actually brush my hair and throw on a pair of pants. The flexibility enables me to be the kind of wife and mother that I couldn't seem to manage before, which has introduced a balance that I've never had in my life. I am a better employee today than I was a month ago because I am no longer forced to choose between my children and my job. Why don't more companies offer this option or at least the ability to telecommute several days a week?

I have learned that good shopping and the other amenities that come with living in a metropolis with a million people are as important to me as breathing, which leads me to the part about how adaptable we are as humans.

The shopping in Bentonville was adequate, at best although, I always felt that we were lucky considering the size of the area. We managed and it wasn't really all that painful. I never felt deprived, especially with the surge in the online marketplace but now...

Oh baby.

Saks, an Apple store, Smashburger, Macy's, a CHL hockey team, Whole Foods, Runner's World, Macy's, Restoration Hardware, the Philbrook Museum of Art, the ballet, the opera, a zoo and an aquarium. There are the coolest neighbourhoods scattered all over the city like Utica Square, Cherry Street and Brookside, where tony little shops are nestled beside some surprisingly fabulous restaurants. The place is renowned for its art deco architecture and there are breathtaking examples everywhere. My kids have a multitude of choices in regard to their music lessons, athletics and the arts. If you can imagine it, it is available here.

I have missed the diversity of experiences that a bigger city has to offer but didn't realize how much until we got settled here in Tulsa and I started to explore. There is definitely country girl blood coursing through my veins but she will always do battle with the the woman who appreciates the feel of concrete under her feet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

The Bipolar Diva said...

I know what you mean! It took me awhile to get used to living in a smaller town. And big houses, they are great for hiding from kiddos!