Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rebooting

I've talked recently about some medical issues that I've had for a while, now, and how I don't seem to be getting the kind of results that I've been told to expect if everything were going according to plan.

Hacks me off.

I'm relatively young and although my earlier years were peppered with behaviour that might not be especially conducive to good health, all of that is behind me now and I'd like to move forward without further bumps in the health road. I've come to accept the fact that I cannot have gluten, cigarettes or unlimited quantities of alcohol and food. I also understand that my reproductive capabilities are coming to an end and that hormonally, things are a crap shoot. Okay. No problem. I am even slowly coming around to embrace the idea that the wrinkles, the sunspots and the gravity-challenged body parts show the character of a life well lived. I get it. I'm aging.

But I'm not willing to be sick.

This weekend, Dallas and I were streaming Netflix (trying to get in as many movies as we can before the price change) and we stumbled upon a documentary by Joe Cross called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It spoke to both of us.

Within the last two months, my mum called and suggested that I read Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book, "Eat To Live". I did but it didn't resonate with me because I think we need a whole lot more protein and fat from animal sources than he prescribes. Dr. Fuhrman appeared in the documentary, which peaked my interest, but what really hooked me was that the filmmaker took some of the doctor's advice and expanded upon it to include a few of the more important tenets of a Paleo lifestyle. An interesting balance was struck and as a result, the people featured in the film were able to heal themselves, lose weight and improve the quality of their lives. All of the goodness started with a completely vegetarian juice fast for a specific period of time.

I started wondering if maybe I shouldn't give it a try. I mean, what's the harm? You get plenty to eat and apparently, after about four or five days, you really start to feel great. At this point, I'm willing to try anything to get rid of the dysplasia and avoid surgery. ANYTHING.

So, come Monday, I will be on a vegetable juice "Reboot" for fifteen days. I'll let you know how it goes. No caffeine, no dairy and no animal products for fifteen days. Piece of cake. Or should I say piece of kale.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Mark N said...

"after about four or five days, you really start to feel great."

That leads me to believe the first three or four must be pretty crap. I wish you well!