Thursday, September 8, 2011

Depreciation

Let me tell you something about selling used furniture, appliances and the like.  They aren't worth squat.

Seriously.

First, there is the stainless side by side fridge that we bought a few years ago to the tune of about $1800 bucks.  Today, we'll be lucky to get $600 for it.  I will never buy another stainless product again because you can't keep the bastards clean.  They are a fingerprint nightmare.

Then, we have our front loading washing machine.  I spent DAYS researching that purchase until I came up with a Frigidaire unit which promised performance without the huge price tag of the fancier LG and Bosch models. After rebates and incentives, we shelled out just over $700 but I felt smart and informed, until today.  A little web surfing tells me that even offering free delivery, we probably won't see any more than $200.

And the list goes on and on.

The point, I suppose, is that at the end of the day, why do any of us buy anything new when we can pick up good quality near new items for a song?  Of course, there is that sticky little "used" part.  One can never be sure how someone has utilized their fridge ( Jeffrey Dahmer comes to mind) and I can only imagine what badness could be tossed into a washing machine but I'm pretty sure that with the exception of beds and underwear, used items offer a superior value to their brand new counterparts.

If we are going to retire like The Millionaire Next Door, I'm thinking that the hubby and I had better cultivate a different mindset...... less consumer and more producer.

Personally, I think I will kick off my newfound financial enlightenment by combing through the used merchandise adverts listed on New Zealand's "TradeMe".   I'll plan to pay special attention to those that say, "Moving Overseas" because, you know, that's where DEPRECIATION lives.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: