Thursday, November 13, 2008

Can't We Move On?

Okay.

Enough already.

Why does anyone still give a crap about the dysfunctional triangle that was Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? It's been nearly four years and every couple of months as the Pitt-Jolies celebrate some sort of birth or adoption, the rags are covered with headlines about a secret rendevous between Pitt and Aniston or some such nonsense.

Yes, the divorce between Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston was a bit messy but what divorce isn't? It must have been wretched to have the entire world witness the disintegration of your marriage. I mean, they are people after all and I don't believe that celebrity and money insulate one from emotional pain so I cannot for the life of me figure out why Aniston would elect to answer questions posed by a Vogue journalist in regard to Angelina's comments A YEAR EARLIER! Talk about picking a scab.

She said she merely answered the questions as honestly as she could.

Whatever.

Why even dignify that line of questioning by actually making a comment? It's ancient history.

They met, they married, they divorced. The fairy tale didn't work for them. Lots of us can relate. And yes, it seems likely that Brad Pitt stepped out on his wife which unfortunately, is especially juicy gossip fodder but why do we care so much? I can understand the tabloids perpetuating this non story because high drama and misery sell but even the mainstream media refuse to let it go.

I never talk to my first husband. In fact, I can barely remember what he looks like. I certainly don't dwell on the sad and confused farce that was our marriage. I probably wouldn't give my second husband a thought either, but we had children together which necessitates civil conversation. The point is that relationships begin and some of them end. And if you didn't procreate together, what would possibly be the reason to continue to rehash it after four years?

So, after reading that a Vogue journalist popped the question and Jennifer Aniston chose to answer, I can only assume that she enjoys the role of wounded ex-wife. Of course, Angelina Jolie could probably have benefited from a muzzle in the same way that Bill Clinton could have used a chastity belt but there is something slightly afflicted about the way that Aniston continues to include "victim" as part of her public persona.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Holly said...

I couldn't agree more - just the other day while standing in the check out, I noticed there it all was yet AGAIN! Can't they get over it all already!

Last week? Week before? When they were carrying on and on and on about Angelina 'admitting' her and Brad had an affair, it was like some political spin. No, what she SAID was that they would let their kids watch Mr & Mrs Smith because how many people can say they saw a movie where their parents feel in love. IN THE MOVIE, they fall in love, as their characters - at least that is the way I took the statement. Face it, probably fewer kids can say their parents fell in love as their characters in a movie, than can say fell in love as real people while cheating on someone!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I'm not famous. The money would be nice, but I don't need the world watching me make an ass of myself and then replaying and rehashing. Nope.