Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Sunshine State

Where the heck have I been?

I know how annoying it is to see a lack of fresh material day after day and I apologize. My work life has been out of control lately and in this economic environment, I am very fortunate that my cup runneth over.

For the last couple of weeks, my time has been divided between two enormous projects. The first one had me researching and writing the business plan that proposed the formation of a new company. The other involved the debut of a product line that has been in development for close to two years. Next month, I will stand by my client as his innovation is introduced to the world retail market. It's all very exciting. And exhausting.

I was crazy busy but managing well until last Thursday when my boss and the chairman of the company dropped the F bomb.

The corporate home office is relocating to Florida.

And I was invited to make the move.

After hearing that news, I went from being busy to being completely overwhelmed. What about the kids? And our ex spouses? And our houses? And our friends? And my husband's job? And that income? And...

We live in Bentonville, Arkansas which is a surprisingly modern small town with all of the amenities and a great regional airport thanks to the fact that three large companies are headquartered in this region. The schools are great, the traffic manageable and the weather gives us four distinct but moderate seasons. Some of the best Harley riding in the US can be found in this area. For a big city girl, I've become remarkably attached to this town. I've been here for ten years and it's a wonderful place to raise children.

When Dallas was told, he was equally stunned and the two of us spent most of this last weekend trying to assess the situation. We scoured the internet for information on housing costs, schools, taxes, amenities, culture and all those things that grown ups consider when weighing a decision like this. We sought the advice of parents, friends and colleagues. We drew up pro/con lists. We LABOURED over this decision.

Yesterday, I spoke with one of my colleagues in Florida and after our conversation, the answer became crystal clear to me. I stepped outside, called Dallas and explained how I felt.

Together, we came to a conclusion.

In early August, just after the celebration of our first wedding anniversary, Dallas, Olivia, Dylan, manchild and I will become Florida's newest residents.

Alligators, mosquitos and hurricanes, be damned.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Helen said...

Hey Beth-

where in Florida- I lived there for about five years and liked it a lot.

Helen

Holly said...

Oh WOW! At least you'll have some time to plan. Our move in 2005? Job interview in Sept, flew to NH to look at a house 2 weeks later, signed a contract the next day, closed only 3 weeks later. Boom. Move. That fast. Needless to say, tons of shit was packed and moved, simply because there was NO time to go through and get rid of stuff we didn't need or want.

Blog Deleted said...

where where where?