Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving

Oh hi there! Long time since we chatted, I know.

So Thanksgiving....

I sat at my computer for about two seconds on Wednesday and contemplated writing a post about all those things in my life for which I am grateful. And there is no doubt that there are more blessings than annoyances but when it came right down to it, I just didn't have the time. Instead, I cooked and baked.

For seven hours straight.

Because I don't seem to possess an off switch.

I was quite organized in the respect that I didn't have to send Dallas out at the last minute to the grocery store for any missing ingredients and I was the queen of multitasking (bread rising on warm oven whilst delicious side dish baking inside) but somewhere along the way, I forgot that there would only be five of us sitting down to our Thanksgiving feast. I could have fed our entire town.

Dallas did his best to help. He suggested that I allow him to deep fry the turkey, even getting downright emotional when describing how delicious this version could be. While I have no doubt that a turkey made to bathe in boiling hot peanut oil is a gastronomic delight, I just couldn't get past the fact that this method of cooking comes with its own public service announcement.



So, no. No deep fried turkey. But we did have carrots au gratin, sweet potatoe and apple bake, green bean casserole with a mushroom béchamel sauce and fontina cheese, garlic parmesan mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, yeast rolls, pumpkin pie and mincemeat tarts. Everything was from scratch because while I believe in things like epidurals, Botox, robotic vacuum cleaners and electronic banking, I'm pretty traditional when it comes to pie crust. And unlike my first husband, who was obsessed with baking the perfect wedding cake (yeah, DING DONG kids), Dallas has no interest in cooking beyond his beloved BBQ, which turns me into a domestic goddess, in his eyes, every time I expend a little culinary effort.

I love that.

Having five days off last week was pretty great, too.

How was your holiday?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: