Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tiger

Watching the news last night, I was flabbergasted that Tiger Woods was still a headliner. Oh, I know that the story seemingly has all of the juicy bits that are a programmer's dream but listening to Brian Williams discuss the latest...well...GOSSIP, made me feel sort of dirty.

It's one thing when the exploits of a boozy, spoiled, camera-hungry, Hollywood nitwit are splashed across TMZ. It's something else entirely to be a voyeur in the life of someone who makes every effort to keep his personal business private.

Yes, Tiger Woods makes heaps of money in a very public way and thus, the argument can be made that the death of his privacy is a function of his chosen life but is that really reasonable? What's wrong with us, as a society, that we froth at the mouth waiting for the famous to make a very public fall from grace?

Clearly, there is something amiss in the Woods' home and obviously, it is intensely personal. The last thing in the world that I want to read about is the disintegration of a marriage. I think that we forget (as we cluck our tongues and shake our heads), that these are real people with children, parents and a life that exists outside of the public spectrum.

I think we ought to leave them to it.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Helen said...

Amen!

Well said.

Getting back to my ever more interesting boring non-famous life (but it fulfills my needs and wants),

Helen

Lunnen said...

I agree 100% Beth. Leave the man alone. I am the biggest Tiger fan. Although it facinates me, I angry at the press for the intrusion on his privacy. It is just because they never get "dirt" on Tiger. Damn opportunists!