Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Violated

Okay, this one is going to be very brief.

Yesterday, we put my Mum on a plane back to Canada. She arrived into her home airport at about 11:30 pm after traveling for ten hours. Sadly, her luggage did not make it back with her which was stressful but not all that unusual in today's travel climate. After standing at the carousel for the better part of forty five minutes, she filed a report with the airline and wearily made her way home.

At 1:00 am, she opened the front door to her house to find that she had been robbed while on holiday in Arkansas. The thieves had broken a window over her kitchen sink and methodically proceeded to make their way through her home, opening every single drawer, cabinet and closet. They jimmied the locks on her desk and attempted to pry open her file cabinet. Her laptop, sitting out in the open, was untouched. So was her old Palm. Weird. They found her jewelry though, and took every bit of it, which was upsetting considering there were pieces missing that had once belonged to my grandparents and thus were of sentimental value. They also took a "Rolex" that I brought back from one of my trips to China. We giggled a bit over that loss.

I spoke to her early this afternoon. She was waiting on the window people to install a new one over the kitchen sink, the door people who had already been scheduled weeks ago to replace her doors, the police, the insurance agent and a representative from a security firm that she called. Understandably, she hadn't been to bed yet.

I asked her if she was okay and she is of course, because my mum just doesn't ruffle. She did mention that she was "as mad as a hatter".

All I can say is that I'm ready for this crap year to be done.

That and God help the airline if they don't locate her luggage.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

And I say "God Help The Airlines Too!!!!!!
That is a terrible thing to come home to.

Helen said...

How horrid! I thought all the bad humans lived in the US, not Canada. May her luggage arrive soon, and intact!