Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Taxed

It's that time of year again.

Taxes.

I hate the IRS. Vehemently.

But, having the privilege of living in this country necessitates the paying of taxes. I get it. I'm Canadian. I was born understanding that the government would take at least thirty cents of every dollar I made.

And I do believe in paying taxes. (And socialized medicine.)

I endorse the idea that those that have should help to take care of those that don't. Absolutely. Of course, that is a broad statement and inside of it, there are many, many layers of circumstance that cause me to scratch my head.

For instance, the other day, I learned a little something while doing manchild's taxes. He didn't earn much, which is understandable considering he's young, barely out of high school and in the restaurant business. Consequently, he didn't pay much in taxes, which was reasonable in my mind. Then, things got a bit murky.

As the tax code is currently written, he was entitled to a refund of every single penny he had paid into the system. This didn't bother me because he wasn't tapping into any social service program and he was quite willing to work and contribute his share to society. What chapped my ass was that not only did he get a refund of the taxes he paid but he got an additional $300. For what? Reward for going to work every day?

I know that there are arguments to be made on both sides of this issue, obviously, because our country is a diverse nation, full of people, each of whom have a story to tell. But if my step son is only one of millions being refunded beyond their contributions, we can only imagine what a huge chunk of change this is.

The term, "fair" is subjective, at best. My idea of what is balanced and reasonable is likely to be very different from the single mother trying to put food on the table for her kids. That extra $300 could be life-altering for some. I do realize this. I'm just conflicted with the knowledge that there is zero accountability for the extra funds. It could be spent on food or it could just as easily prop up a drug habit. Who knows?

I think I'd feel better about it if that $300 found its way into a program that created jobs or provided medical care or counseled young people about credit. Something. Anything. That way, as I fork over my "fair" share every month, I can still find a way to sleep at night without being burdened by festering resentment.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

ffej said...

Lets not forget, that in this great country, you have your local, county, state and federal taxes. Of course this doesn't include all the hidden fees and gov't taxes on your utility bills, cable, phone, soft drinks, car tags, etc., etc., etc. They are hidden everywhere! A little research will yield a result showing the average American, who pays taxes, has their income reduced, for our wonderful Govt, by over 50%! Oh, and by the way, they can't pay their bills with what they do collect. They run up massive National Debt and just added, what anyone with a rational mind would conclude in the end, will cost the average American (and Kiwi's / Canadians who work here), up to 10-20% more of their paycheck in the end. It's easy to say 'we don't mind' when politicians simply lie and push the cost and burden off on our children and grandchildren, who will not be able to recognize the American dream as we have because the counrty will either be bankrupt (look at Greece, USSR) or they will have to pay up to 75% of what they earn to pay for our ignorance, greediness and the feel goods. Thanks for taking the time to read my sub-blog:)