Monday, October 1, 2007

Girls Night Out

A week ago Friday night, I went out with the girls and drank entirely too much wine. We all did. When you get a group of women together, mix in liberal amounts of alcohol and remove the testosterone element (men), you create the perfect atmosphere for seriously wicked conversation. I would be forever shunned from the Sisterhood if I revealed too much of that evening but here are a few of the tame tidbits:

"My husband is eye candy."
This is from a woman who has been married for eleven years. She gushed like a newlywed. I was in awe and I badly wanted into her medicine cabinet.

"You must commit to being functional in your relationship. Understand that happiness is a choice. So is compromise."
This came from a woman in her late fifties who has been married forever. She enjoys a romantic, healthy marriage with her husband. I thought about her statement for days.

"I would love to quit my job and stay at home. I think I might want to have another baby."
This one was uttered by a thirty eight year old woman who deals with insurance issues, patients and bureaucracy all day. It's no wonder she feels this way but I just couldn't relate. For a fleeting second, I let myself contemplate the idea of pregnancy and the domestic hell that is stay at home motherhood. Those women are saints. They should be anointed with expensive oils and fed grapes by well-muscled pool boys. I would need a keg of purple Koolaid or a black American Express card to make this work for me.

"Men think that they are the only ones with a sex drive. Would they find it threatening or distasteful to know that we think about it constantly, too?"
Ummm, (cough, cough), I have no comment.

This is just a tiny peek into the conversation that took place that night but the best thing to come of it was that we decided to make it a monthly event. I had almost forgotten how great it was to spend a few hours with smart, articulate women. Next time, though, I think I'll be more careful with the vino. I need for my sensor switch to be working.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: