Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Heard It Was Great....

Last night after dinner, we went back to the hotel and decided to indulge in a massage. It is one of my most favourite things about Guangzhou. For less than $20, you get about two hours of pure bliss.

It all begins with half an hour on the shoulders, back and neck. I have found that the masseuse has been trained to respond to the client's needs in regard to pressure and strength. I have never had to tell them to be more gentle or more aggressive. They just seem to know and adjust intuitively.

Next, comes the foot massage. For at least an hour, your feet and lower legs are bathed, oiled and massaged. I cannot adequately describe how good this is. Most of the time, we will get the pedicure guy to come in. It's not the type of pedicure that we are used to in North America. Nope. This guy arrives with a straight razor, a pumice stone and a stool. He trims your toenails and shaves off any rough areas on the bottom of your feet. There are no ragged edges and I am always in awe of how good my feet look after he is finished.

Finally, during the last half an hour, you are treated to a hot neck roll and a full arm and leg massage. I usually put my iPod on and relax through out the process. Last night, after the neck and back massage, I put the tunes on and fell asleep. I woke up thirsty, feeling like a rag doll and with feet that looked fantastic. I asked if pedicure man had been in and was told that I slept through the whole thing.

Wow. That's some kind of jet lag.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous!!!! Get the pedicure man a green card!!!! quick!!
sounds like heaven.....enjoy yourself girl!!