Monday, June 8, 2009

Procrastination

I generally avoid tedious and/or unpleasant tasks until the last possible minute when they can be no longer ignored. Some call it procrastination. I call it stress management.

Several weeks ago, Steph the Magnificent came into my office with a bundle of paperwork that she had picked up on my behalf from the local childrens' summer program. She was busy enrolling her children and was kind enough to think of Olivia. It really is a great program. The kids swim, roller skate, go to the movies and participate in various other activities. Last year, Olivia came home at the end of every day happy, exhausted and socially satisfied.

The summer program begins today.

I waited until last Friday to submit the paperwork. The office was closed.

So Liv couldn't start today.

When I broke the news to her last night, she looked at me, knitted her brows in confusion and plainly asked me why I had waited so long. She wasn't the slightest bit snarky or accusatory. She was just curious.

*crap*

"I don't know. I should have taken care of it weeks ago," I said, deciding the truth was probably a better option than making up a story involving dragons and trolls.

"Okay," she said and kissed me good night. Clearly, I was forgiven.

As I was getting ready for bed, I passed my jewelry box upon which an IRS notification sat. We received this latest missive telling us that further revisions were needed and we had ten days to complete them.

That was a couple of weeks ago.

Something tells me that the IRS won't be nearly as understanding as Olivia.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Blog Deleted said...

Crap. Yeah, don't f*** with the IRS. Get on it! They're not nearly as tolerant as children.

The other part tho, kinda funny. It reminded me of my friend Kelly who is chronically disorganized, (her health insurance papers are on my kitchen island ready for the mail tomorrow, yeah I filed it for her)... she's a vet, it's a give/take relationship. She always says .."Hose, I need a wife!" Beth, you need a wife. Lol. Wish I lived closer I could hep you get organized for the big move. Can't wait to come see you when you get settled. We have lots to catch up on! Love, R

PS. Hose. Not a typo. 25-year-old nick name. Will tell you over a glass of wine. ;-)