Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Independence Day

Today is Canada Day, which is a celebration of when we officially became a nation. For all of my relatives in the true north strong and free, Happy Birthday!

They have the day off, which is a bit sucky because it's Wednesday. They will still have to do the mandatory grill out with friends or relatives. They will still have to drink plenty of coolie pops and they will still have to rustle up children and hightail it to some fireworks celebration. Because that is what you do to celebrate Canada Day. The trouble is, they will have to drag themselves out of bed Thursday morning and go back to work, which I'm sure will feel like it's all a bad, bad dream.

Down here, Independence Day falls on Saturday and not to be gypped out of a paid day off work, Friday has been designated at the stat holiday. I love this country.

In other news, today is significant in our household because one of our chickens is flying the coop. Yes, manchild is moving out.

Part of me is absolutely thrilled because I had serious doubts a year ago that this day would come anytime soon. To witness this child's transformation from an puerile, awkward and irresponsible boy to a careful, gainfully employed and mature man has been a privilege. I haven't known manchild long enough to mourn his childhood but seeing my husband try to wrap his brain around the status change has been revealing.

I have been trying to reinforce the idea that leaving home is a natural progression in the life of a person and that manchild with his own flat is a very good thing. Dallas agrees but wishes that he could go back and do some of the formulative years over again. He is not certain that he has taught his son everything that will be needed for an independent life. I'm sure that those misgivings are normal because even as the step parent, I've had them myself. I don't think that we ever lose the urge to protect our children but at some point, we have to get out of their way and allow them to be adults.

Today is Independence Day for our boy and I couldn't be more proud of him.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: