Thursday, July 16, 2009

Recalculating

I've figured out how to do this private blog thing.

If you are interested in reading, shoot me a note with your email address.

It's like being a kid again with my diary, except now, the diary talks back.

Also, just a short note to tell you that one of my new favourite things is a Garmin GPS thingy. When we were in Florida, we included one in our car rental and it is the most fabulous thing ever invented.

My sister cousin had one with her when we holidayed in March but it seemed just the slightest bit complicated (like trying to learn a Mac after being conditioned on a PC) and I shied away from it. Now, I think everyone ought to have one. I especially loved the option to change language and even accent. I browsed the list and didn't find a New Zealand dialect so we had to settle for an Aussie. We chose a female because we figured a male would get lost. (kidding)

Anyway, once she started to talk (and the strange thing is that the machine quickly feels like a real person), Dallas cringed and said that she was a British person putting on an Australian accent and that she was doing a poor job. I nearly wet my pants.

A few times, we took different routes rather than the one she had laid out and we actually sensed Garmin lady's stress as she intoned, "Recalculating. Recalculating RECALCULATING!" over and over again. We cried laughing a few times. Because we are weird like that.

Since we are no longer moving to Florida, there is probably no need for us to get a Garmin because here in sleepy Bentonville, Arkansas, we don't have much of an opportunity to get lost. Although, I must admit that one chicken farm looks just the same as the next.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Holly said...

BWAHAHA - sorta like Michael complaining about the Outback Steakhouse ads with their fake Australian accents! :-)

We have a Garmin GPS thingy - boys & their toys ya know - ours is designed for hiking, but works well for driving - but no voice. Thank Christ! We do however, joke about the little man inside flipping through maps (and cussing at us) as we turn where it wasn't expected, and the screen flashes "recalculating" as it tries to get us back on track.