Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Are You Watching QVC?

Even though I fit, almost perfectly, the demographic for the shopping channels on television, I had never spent any time watching them and consequently, had never made a purchase.

That all changed last week.

On Wednesday morning, I found myself in gorgeous West Chester, Pennsylvania, attending a mandatory vendor class at QVC. My mood was best characterized as sour, resentful and stressed, especially when we were politely asked to shut off our phones.

Off? As in no power?
(Translation: Only the airlines have the right to ask this of us, right? RIGHT?)

Are you kidding me?
(Translation: I won't be able to monitor and surreptitiously respond to my email and text messages while you are trying to teach this class!)

Ok.
(Translation: Shit.)

You know, I've been on both sides of the retail desk. I've attended every leadership, skills-building, how-we-do-things-101 class available. I've nodded enthusiastically, while sipping purple Koolaid from the management punch bowl, as yet another Kenneth Blanchard book was discussed in detail. I've done the corporate cheer and I've been that knob that says, "There's no "i" in TEAM".

So, my attitude was please, spare me the freaking class because it's not like you've reinvented merchandising and I could be doing a million other productive things instead of SITTING IN THIS BLOODY CLASS. Send me a manual to slog through instead.

Except I was wrong. QVC is an impressive operation. They single-handedly created a niche market that drives billions of dollars in sales. I had no idea. They've got great products that solve problems at prices that make you sit up and take notice. And contrary to my preconceived ideas, the class was enormously helpful. My only regret is that I didn't attend it back in October when we first got our product approved. We would have avoided some of the bumps that we have experienced.

QVC is a brilliant merchandiser and they live and breathe their concept. When you walk in the front doors of their building, there is a giant flat screen television displaying their live feed. In the classroom, between speakers and during breaks, a projector screen was tuned to the QVC broadcast. I couldn't take my eyes off it. In exactly six minutes, I discovered that there was a product I couldn't live without.

Before leaving last Wednesday, I'd downloaded the QVC app for my phone and made my first purchase. Yesterday, it arrived at my door and this weekend, thanks to Miracle Finish I will be giving my kitchen table and cabinets a much needed face lift. I am abnormally excited at the prospect.

Consider me QVC-ified.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Blog Deleted said...

Wow! Let us all know how that stuff works out. xR