Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Senior Interrupted

I was going to write today about my new fascination with gardening or rather my fascination with the idea of gardening but then I got an email from teenage daughter's school and my whole day went to custard.

Last year, we asked teenage daughter to leave our home. There were many reasons and for the most part, that decision returned the earth to its proper axis. She was happier back living with her mother. We were happy to be free of the drama and our household collectively sighed with the release of the tension. Win-win-win, right?

Turns out, not so much so.

I received a note today informing me that teenage daughter has missed fifteen days of school since returning from winter break, which means she doesn't have enough time logged, even if she were to make passing grades, to get credit for her courses.


Which means that SHE WILL NOT GRADUATE.

At eighteen, nobody can tell you anything because you've got it ALL figured out. I know this. I was once that child and I've lived it. Strangely though, understanding the situation doesn't make it any easier to watch as the opportunities disappear and the choices narrow.

That deafening sound you hear is my heart blowing to bits....

....which, for a second, drowns out the voice in my head that whispers, "You didn't do enough."

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Helen said...

Oh Beth- I'm thinking of you. One of the things I say to my children is "Some people just need to have a tough life to learn on their own."

Maybe she's one of them. Maybe this will actually be a good thing for her in the long run.

I so hope so. Life is one of those things that doesn't need help to be tough, you know?

You are a good mom, and a good human.

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sista!
You are a GREAT mom!!! and you did lots to try to correct this situation.
Luv ya and hugs to you!

xoxoxoxooxox
jennie

ffej said...

Their just is no way to raise a child that guarantees their success and well being. You simply have to do your best (I'm sure you did) and hope that they eventually get it. NEVER beat yourself up over children. I always tell my children that 'I'm not perfect, just pretty good'. What they do with their lives is simply thier responsibility. By the way, I have missed the usual insightful and funny blogs. Come on now, your leaving your loyal readers needing a fix:)