Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Picture of Elephantine Grace

Chris over at Rude Cactus and Aimee of Greeblemonkey fame, (who we have to hate for awhile because she just got back from Hawaii..hiss), have cooked up:

What this means is that we are shamelessly asking you to make yourself known by leaving a comment. Not that we are insecure comment whores or anything but..

I have my steady few that comment all of the time but for some reason, the tens of you that read me prefer to email. I understand perfectly. I'm shy like that, too. Anyway, I'm supposed to give you a specific little something something to comment on and this is usually done via the telling of some horribly embarrassing story. The trouble is that most of those involve situations that I'd hate for my mum to read without first ingesting a pharmaceutical or two. And recently, I've acquired a couple of new readers from New Zealand (hi Mrs. J! Hi Leisa!) who after reading several posts, are probably already very concerned for Dallas. So, after mentally sifting through the debris of my youth, I have landed on a story that wouldn't get anything stronger than a PG rating.

In eighth grade, I was fourteen, athletic and newly interested in all things distinctly girlie. Up to that point, I'd had very little use for boys except as referees for our hockey games. I wore my hair like Dorothy Hamill.

Overnight, everything changed. I discovered Maybelline Great Lash mascara and Lip Smackers. My male friends suddenly became much more interesting. And I bought my first pair of high heeled shoes, which launched a lifetime obsession.

It was announced that there would be a school dance called the "Spring Fling". My father gave me $50 to get an outfit. I spent 12 bucks on the dress and the rest on the most magnificent, 3.5" (9cm), black velvet stilettos. They hurt. I teetered like barfly in them but they made my bum look fabulous because it was constantly flexed in an effort to maintain my balance. LIFELONG OBSESSION. I was the picture of adolescent pseudo-sophistication.

The day of the dance, we had rain and temperatures that were cold, even for April. That night, the rain froze making the concrete steps leading into the school an icy mess. My father suggested that I might be more comfortable wearing my sneakers until I was safely inside the school doors but noooooo, not me. I was Scarlett O'Hara in the damn drapes and I was going to make my grand entrance. Besides, I had practiced for hours getting in and out of the car with my skirt and heels on. I had the side sweep motion down to a science.

And then quite predictably, it all went horribly wrong. I took that first stair and felt the bottom of my foot slide back as I pitched forward. To stop my face from meeting the concrete, I reached out with both hands to the left and grasped the iron railing, twisting violently around, knees splayed, pantyhose ripped and slid on my arse, then tailbone and finally came to rest on the small of my back. I broke one of the heels of my shoes. At that very moment, as I was inelegantly flailing to get up, the boy I had a serious crush on chose that moment to pull up to the curb, exit his parent's car and gaze at me with a mixture of pity and barely controlled laughter. I wanted to die. Instead, I limped back to my Dad's car, got in and begged him to take me home. His shoulders were shaking and every few minutes he let out a little squeak and wiped his eyes. Awful. The worst.

So that's it. Feel free to delurk and share a moment of your own. And hey, thanks for reading.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

RunninOnEmpty said...

I know i always comment but that was hilarious, the part about your dad laughing at you. hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog, your so funny!

Anonymous said...

Tee hee...

You poor thing. Tee hee...

Anonymous said...

I think 'bum' is rude in New Zealand-speak.
I'd love a photo of you in the $12 dress-where'd you buy it, Bi-way?!!!
You're the best!

Anonymous said...

You kill me Beth!! I can actually picture Uncle Peter and the laugh!! You'd want to kill him , but ........poor you! Glad the fall didn't hurt your need, fondeness, desire, OBSESSION for the heels or Cindy and I would have hated NYC!! lol
luv ya lots cuz!!
Jennie

Me said...

Bi-way?!! C'mon. Even back then I had more taste. I bought the dress at Zellers! For shame.

useless_rambler said...

Better late than never, I always say...

Yesterday was my "day off the computer day - hang out with the kids all evening long" day. It was fabulous, but I missed showing my privates :(

Anyway, I've been lurking for a bit now. I really enjoy reading. I'm awful at consistent commenting across the board (my reader is heaving, yet I hardly ever comment). This is mostly due to the small ones under foot. My reading is sporadic at best.

All that to say... Thanks for the laughs, tears, 'Amen, Sistah'-s, and everything else I get when I pop over here. I've become a regular.

Not, however, sharing any embarrassing stories. This comment is far too long, already, and it wouldn't end if I started!!! :)

useless_rambler

Nicky said...

That whole "freezing rain" nonsense is a b!tch. I slid completely under my parents' car as they were picking me up after a band concert or something. I make it a point to be the first one to get the hell outta Dodge, so the whole crowd was behind me. Requests for an encore were not honored.
Yay delurking!

Anonymous said...

Well much much older sister in law, am very disappointed in the PG rating story of your youth,am expecting far more juicier gossip in your next entry please, how else am I supposed to get thru my children filled day without a bit of sexy intrigue into your life!!