Monday, June 16, 2008

Did Someone Say Truffle?

Today is day eighteen of VCLD (Very Low Calorie Diet or ). When this is all over, I don't think that I will eat cucumber, spinach or asparagus EVER AGAIN. I've had enough of them. The lack of variety is really, really hard, which explains my weekend of letting the whole thing go to hell.

It all started Friday night when Dallas and I were deciding upon our dinner choices. The trouble with this diet is that there isn't a whole lot of tolerance for delayed mealtimes. We thought that since my kids were with their father, we might venture out to Ruth's Chris for a steak and veg. Unfortunately, the earliest reservation that we could secure was 7:30pm and by that time, I would have been outside salting up some road kill. So, we decided to stay in and BBQ. Dallas was nearly 20 pounds down by Friday so he was Mr. Cocky Diet Boy and felt comfortable deviating from the plan. My mouth watered as I watched him take a bite of his salad with CHEESE and DRESSING. I couldn't stand it. I had a REAL salad, too. With multiple vegetables. And cheese. And DRESSING. And a chocolate truffle.

It was NIRVANA.

Later that night on the way home from a movie, I suggested that we stop for frozen custard because I'm THAT person.

Cue sound of father's voice saying, "Give her and inch and she'll take a mile".

Dallas coaxed me off that ledge and proposed a simple cookie from Starbuck's might be a wiser choice. It was better than a Chinese foot massage. Except for the guilt, of course. I could have done nicely without that.

Saturday was mind numbingly busy. I cleaned the house (which surprisingly, I'm really enjoying these days)while Dallas met with his groomsmen to be fitted for their tuxedos. After lunch, we rode down to the reception site to finalize our menu. Then, we were off to see the cake lady. After her, we picked up my newly re-sized engagement ring and wedding band from the jeweler's. Understandably, we were in need of some unwind time by the end of the day.

So, we dined out with Brandon and Erin because we had heard that you burn up to 20% more calories when you're laughing. Unfortunately, we both indulged AGAIN. Dallas had wine and dessert and I had cocktails.

Three of them.

After the first one, I was slurring. By number three, I was wobbly on my feet. I have to admit that there was something deeply satisfying about being a cheap drunk date.

Sunday, Dallas and I did the impossible:

We cleaned up the front flower bed.

And it looks fabulous. We now appear all grown up and responsible to our neighbours. We even tossed around the idea of having a nursery come over and plant a shade tree in the front yard. My God! We are drunk with ambition!

After all of that sweat labour in the blazing sun, and since it was Father's Day, I agreed to make strawberry shortcake for dessert. I had adhered to the diet plan all day until then. I didn't have any of the shortcake but I did have a giant dollop taste of the whipped cream. And I had another REAL salad with dinner. And a chocolate truffle.

This morning, we got on the scales.

Dallas was up three. I gained half a pound.

So, we're seriously back at it this morning. I was feeling just the teeniest bit defeated until I got dressed. My favourite pair of pants, which were snug last week are actually LOOSE today. Seeing this, I went to the cupboard, grabbed the bag of truffles that have been singing to me for the last two weeks and threw them in the garbage.

I'm hoping for a productive, normal work day today because it would suck to have to go fishing in the trash.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't even imagine trying to go past about noon on so few calories as it sounds like.

How soon until the big day?

Anonymous said...

Um, yah, that was me filling in the captcha thingy instead of my own name because I'm brilliant like that today. Pass the truffles.

Anonymous said...

Will you let me in your low calories diet plan? And congrats on impending joyous day.
my

One Crazy Chick! said...

I hope you didn't have to go fishing!