Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Inauguration Day.

For the last several weeks as the nation has been building up to this event, I found myself wondering why we were making such a fuss. I couldn't understand the national FERVOR.

But then, I'm a Canadian white woman living in the US who has had every privilege available to me from the time that I was very young. To me, President Obama was the best man for the job. The fact that he was black was irrelevant. Skin colour doesn't matter to me because frankly, I am never forced to think about it. Being white, I realize that I have that luxury. My life experiences concerning race must vastly differ from a forty two year old African American woman's and I suppose that is why this day is so significant. It breathes the promise of real social change in this country.

I am thrilled that Barack Obama was elected. I believe he will restore dignity to the White House. For me, his inauguration firmly closes the regretful, head-shaking, debilitating chapter in American history that was the Bush presidency. And I will sleep better tonight knowing President Obama is at the helm.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: