Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Resolutions for 2009

Happy New Year and all that jazz.

I spent twelve days largely prone on my couch dressed in sweats and slippers. It was heaven. Yesterday was a particularly sucky Monday because besides the obvious reasons, I started back on the Hcg diet thing. I've resorted to chewing my nails to try to stop the persistent growling of my stomach.

The first few days are always the hardest.

Over the holidays, I read three books, saw two movies in the theatre, watched numerous movies on DVD, rode my Harley, took down the Christmas decorations with an admittedly abnormal zest, kept a dental appointment, tried to assess and re-register two of our vehicles (which necessitated conversation with a government clerk who'd clearly needed a few days off to go purchase a personality), and ate myself into a carbohydrate-laden coma.

I think I might just be a little sick of chocolate truffles. Maybe.

Of course, I feel compelled to make a list of resolutions for this coming year. There is no sane reason why. Just because.

1. Lose weight. Yep. I'm a walking cliché.

2. Read more books. Last year, I got lost in 12 novels but three of those were digested in the month of December alone, so I wasn't feeding the brain much the rest of the year as evidenced by the plethora of really looney decisions that I made.

3. Blog regularly. I've made every excuse as to why I can't seem to churn out five, reasonably decent posts a week and the truth is that I'm lazy. Ranting Writing is one of the few things that I love to do so I promise to make time for my catharsis blog.

4. Be more organized. This year, I am going to actually use my filing cabinet to FILE and not as a place to hide stuff. I vow to pay our taxes on time, use a grocery list, plan weekend getaways with my husband, put my car keys in the same place every day and finish my Christmas shopping by Halloween. I will send birthday, anniversary and Christmas cards this year. On time.

5. Buy a decent camera and learn how to take a picture. I don't know why this is so hard for me. It has been suggested that perhaps it might be useful to actually read the user manual so as to understand what all of those annoying little icons on the camera will do.

6. Put a dent in our DIY list. When you buy a home, the one thing people forget to tell you is that it is a freaking money pit. My contractor, El Cheapo, cut a bunch of corners when he built our house and now, at four years old, we have recaulking, nail pops, peeling paint, ceiling cracks, crappy finishing on the cabinetry and carpet that needs replacing. I don't know where to start but this year, I am going to cross a few of those off the list.

You know, I could have addressed so many more of my character flaws but I'm on a diet and it's challenging enough just to drag my dimpled ass onto the scale in the morning. I figured it might be better to take baby steps and save the really big personal transformations for the time when I win the lottery and/or fit into a size six jean. Maybe next year.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One more thing....

7. Take another vacation with my Sistas!!!!

A much overlooked resolution my dear cousin....still luv ya'

Jennie

Anonymous said...

ABSOLUTELY! I agree! Much needed catching up time!
Love you dearie.
Cins

Holly said...

Hmmm, while in Burlington, VT for a swim meet, we stopped in Lindt. Bought a huge ass bag of mint chocolate truffles. I'm not sick of them yet! :-)

I don't do resolutions either - I know myself too well.