Wednesday, October 21, 2009

To Vaccinate or Not?

Yesterday, my daughter came home with her Tuesday folder and inside, it was crammed full of last week's tests, classwork and this:
This was the front page of a packet of documents which included several permission forms, influenza reporting forms and information sheets on the two vaccines. I just don't know what to do.
My instincts are screaming at me and telling me to keep my children as far away from these vaccines as possible. Then, I watch the evening news and hear about the death of yet another child who was otherwise healthy. And I get scared.

The schools in our district are full of sick children. There are signs everywhere in our town from the orthodontist's office to the restaurants asking people to keep their sick children at home. One salon had this posted on their door: "If your child is too sick to go to school, he shouldn't be getting a haircut." And I agree. I've always thought there was something selfish and stupid about people who drag their infected selves into the workplace to show the boss the level of their dedication or who send their ill children to school with a belly full of ibuprofen to mask the fever.

The simple answer, it would seem, would be to hedge one's bets and get the kids inoculated but honestly, the whole thing feels a bit like drinking the purple Koolaid to me. On one side, there are heaps of health care professionals who have said that they won't vaccinate their own children and I think that is very telling but on the other side is this giant knot of fear in my belly; the what if? What if one of my kids contracted H1N1 and died? I understand the odds of this are very slim in the big scope of things but is any parent willing to roll the dice when it comes to the safety of their child?

So, there is no clear answer and I am still conflicted. I have until October 30th to make the decision.

I just wish I had a clearer sense of the right thing to do.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Holly said...

I'm right there with you Beth. The shot clinic at our school is the 26th. I left the decision up to Michael, because despite his total and absolute sucky judgement in everything - the everything does not include medical stuff. He's actually pretty good about that. He said they should get it. I'm totally against it, but when it comes to medical decisions, I defer to him. I have gotten sicker than shit with every single flu vaccine I have ever received. I look at it as we are basically 'scheduling' their flu sickness this season. Neither one has ever had any type of flu beyond the slight shadow of one that slowed them down ever so slightly for a day or so. I'm thinking this year, after their first flu shots, they'll both be sicker than snot for a week. I'm bracing for it. My only saving grace is that I can totally blame their sickness on him, since he knows how against the shots I am. :-)

Rosie said...

Well you already know how I feel about this. But I will say it again. I know not everyone agrees, but your risk is low.

#1 – The vaccine production was “rushed” and the vaccine has never been tested on humans. Do you like to play guinea pig for Big Pharma? If so, line up for your swine flu vaccine this fall.

#2 – Swine flu vaccines contain dangerous adjuvants that cause an inflammatory response in the body. This is why they are suspected of causing autism and other neurological disorders.

#3 – The swine flu vaccine could actually increase your risk of death from swine flu by altering (or suppressing) your immune system response. Guillain barre syndrome and dystonia to name but two. See the YouTube video below of the perfectly healthy young woman now suffering with Parkinson-like dystonia about 10 days after a regular flu shot. There is zero evidence that even seasonal flu shots offer any meaningful protection for people who take the jabs. Vaccines are the snake oil of modern medicine.

#4 – Doctors still don’t know why the 1976 swine flu vaccines paralyzed so many people. And that means they really have no clue whether the upcoming vaccine might cause the same devastating side effects. (And they’re not testing it, either…)

#5 – Even if the swine flu vaccine kills you, the drug companies aren’t responsible. The U.S and Canadian governments have granted drug companies complete immunity against vaccine product liability. Thanks to that blanket immunity, drug companies have no incentive to make safe vaccines, because they only get paid based on quantity, not safety (zero liability).

#6 – No swine flu vaccine works as well as vitamin D to protect you from influenza. (Again, see link below.) That’s an inconvenient scientific fact that the U.S. government, the FDA and Big Pharma hope the people never realize.

#7 – Even if the swine flu vaccine actually works, mathematically speaking if everyone else around you gets the vaccine, you don’t need one! (Because it can’t spread through the population.) So even if you believe in the vaccine, all you need to do is encourage your friends to go get vaccinated.

#8 – Drug companies are making billions of dollars from the production of swine flu vaccines. That money comes out of your pocket — even if you don’t get the jab — because it’s all paid by the taxpayers.

#9 – When people start dying in larger numbers from the swine flu, rest assured that many of them will be the very people who got the swine flu vaccine. Doctors will explain this away with their typical Big Pharma logic: “The number saved is far greater than the number lost.” Of course, the number “saved” is entirely fictional… imaginary… and exists only in their own warped heads.

#10 – The swine flu vaccine centers that will crop up all over the world in the coming months aren’t completely useless: They will provide an easy way to identify large groups of really stupid people. (Too bad there isn’t some sort of blue dye that we could tag ‘em with for future reference.)


Vitamin D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCadkv_8_5Q

Young woman gets dystonia from regular flu shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT7oTQyJjZ0

Scientists Questions H1N1 Vaccine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RFJlsd8_J0&feature=related

Makers Of Vaccine Refuse To Take It.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4SmFxyust0&feature=fvw

Vaccines Far More Deadly Than The Flu.
http://examineyourself.info/swine%20flu/Vaccines%20Far%20More%20Deadly%20Than%20Swine%20Flu.html

Just my opinion but I would trust your instincts on this one I would say.

xoR

Helen said...

Beth- I'm facing the same dilemma. My personal thoughts are still that the swine flu is a mild disease. The kids that died had underlying problems. The vaccine is egg-based, which has caused reactions in my daughter. What's the right answer? I HAVE NO IDEA!

Which is a feeling I hate (why did I become a parent?)!

So I am doing what any intelligent ex-wife does...leaving the decision in my ex's hands (not that he'd respect what I wanted anyway).

In an odd reversal- he will get all of the responsibility and none of the control.

CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!

Helen