Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Day After

It was pretty awful. There is just no way to sugarcoat it. I arrived at the hospital at about 8:30am and was shuffled into the finance office where they politely asked me to pay, sign a bunch of papers and answer some questions.

When did I last eat? Long enough ago that my stomache is participating in this conversation.

What do I weigh? Hmm. Tell the truth and receive the proper dosage of drugs or lie and run the risk of being under medicated. Lie. Definitely lie.

After the inquisition was over, I was led to the pre-op and there on the sterile gurney lay the dreaded hospital gown in all its open-backed glory. There is just nothing positive to be said about this garment. I undressed, put the damn thing on and like every other woman on the planet, hid my unmentionables between my street clothes. We all do it. Yes, we understand that our doctor has probably seen a bra before but it doesn't matter. Playing pig in the blanket with our panties is part of our DNA.

Nurse Sue started an IV and introduced me to Dr. Feelgood, who shook my hand and told me he'd be captain of the narcotic express. He started my journey with a sweet little drug to help me relax. I was so happy. And I loved everyone. Everyone. Dr. Sexy Metro Boy chose this time to visit with me before the surgery. I managed to contain myself but unabashedly checked him out as he walked away from me. Shameless, I know.

The next thing I remember is waking up in hot, fiery hell. The pain was horrible. Nerve pain is distinctly different than anything I've ever experienced before. The meds don't kill it. They merely take the edge off. I also do not tolerate anaesthesia well and true to form, I got friendly with a bucket for most of the evening.

Today has been better and it's times like this that remind me how fortunate I am. My fridge is full of meals prepared by other people, my kids are with L & M, two of the most genuine, loving people on the planet, I have three enormous bouquets from people who care about me and I've received dozens of well wishes from my friends and family in the blogosphere. Who knew?

So I'll be in this sucky cast for the next 12 days and I will be forced to accept the help of others because I cannot tie a ponytail with one hand and I'm not flexible enough to get my damn foot up there. As uncomfortable and unfamiliar as I am with this particular set of circumstances, I am also profoundly grateful to be on the receiving end of so much love.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound pleasant, but I am so glad to hear that you have help. That's the best stuff.

I always wondered, and now I know because you said "Playing pig in the blanket with our panties is part of our DNA." This is why I read along.

I do hope you feel better and soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad that you're feeling the love along with the pain!
Get well soon! You're funny even when in agony and this is why I love you.

Unknown said...

eesh. That does NOT sund fun.

Get well soon!