Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday Bloody Golf Sunday

Okay. So today I went golfing with my friend Steph on her home course. I've been feeling pretty good about my game lately (well actually, I've been feeling groovy about three clubs: driver, lob wedge and putter) and I had heard that her course was challenging. Yeah...sort of the same way that giving birth without an epidural is challenging. Click Shadow Valley for a tour of the course.
I need to preface this whole conversation with yesterday's events:
A bunch of girls from my country club and I decided to golf at an affiliate club 25 minutes south of our home course. Well, the first hole was a dream. I spent enormous amounts of time in the sand trap on the second but on the third, I teed off like a rock star. Then... the storm horn sounded. Where I live, when that siren goes, you get off of the links in a hurry. I've lived with the earthquakes in California, the floods in Texas and the snowstorms of Canada but nothing and I mean NOTHING rattles my cage like tornado weather.
Anyway, after nearly an hour in the clubhouse, we were informed that the front nine were flooded and golf was likely done for the day. Late that afternoon, the clouds parted and you would never have known it had rained (except for the 2 feet of standing water at my fence line) so I decided to go drive a bucket of balls at a range by my house. This was MY weekend without the kids and I was going to get some quality golf time in without having to pay a babysitter, damnit!!! Besides, I needed the exercise.
I got two extra large buckets (170 balls each) and proceeded to make like Vijay. Half way through the first bucket, I decided that I had better try to hit the rest of the clubs in my bag. Oh dear. I think perhaps I might have been gripping my irons just a wee bit too tightly. I felt the blisters but they were still covered with skin. Knowing that I had over done things, I returned the second bucket for a refund.
Today, on the course from hell, I lost 7 balls. Yes, you read that right...7. By the time we started on the back nine, I would have sold my children for a bandaid. Here is what my hand looks like now.


Steph is my friend for a lot of reasons but today, she decided we shouldn't keep score and consequently, she shot to the top of the list of people with whom I could be stranded on a deserted island.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: