Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter Mania- No Spoilers

I was one of those who piled into the local big box bookseller on Friday night to eagerly await the release of the final installment of the Harry Potter series.

I began reading the series in 1999. I was working in a Sam's Club and The Prisoner of Azkaban was about to be released. People were manic. We nearly sold all of the books on the release date and ended up being out of stock within a couple of days. I had never seen anything like it. So, I jumped on the word of mouth bandwagon and I've been hooked ever since.

When the first movie adaptation came out, I was prepared to hate it because I'm kind of a book dork and I just couldn't imagine Rowling's work translating well up on the big screen. I was completely wrong. I've loved the movies and they have served to provide faces for the characters. Now, it's impossible for me to read about Harry and not conjure up the face of Daniel Radcliffe.

This time was going to be different from the other releases. I was going to go slowly and savour every word knowing that this was the last book. I was determined to pace myself. I would not, not, not devour this book.

Uh huh.

At 10:22 am Sunday morning, I finished the book. Gorged on it. In 34 hours, I had polished off 759 pages. No self control. Story of my life..just ask my mother.

I think I remember throwing my children a loaf of bread sometime Saturday but I can't be sure. It's all a blur. At one point, my daughter found me crying, fully clothed, in my bathtub and became somewhat alarmed. I was warmed by her concern but profoundly pissed with the enhanced acoustics of my bathroom. My jacuzzi tub is usually a good hiding spot.

So now it's over. My son, who was a baby when these came out, is now reading the series. He's been badgering me since I finished the book, looking for hints as to how it all ends. I am hoping that my daughter will take an interest some day. Stephen King said the series, "will indeed stand time's test and wind up on a shelf where only the best are kept; I think Harry will take his place with Alice, Huck, Frodo, and Dorothy and this is one series not just for the decade, but for the ages."

I agree. Jo Rowling's contribution to child literacy over the past eleven years is impressive. For millions of kids in 65 languages, the Potter books have been the nudge they needed to begin reading.

Late 2009, Univeral Studios in Orlando will be opening "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" theme park. My kids and I will be among the first visitors.

I can't wait.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: