Thursday, July 26, 2007

My first meme

I am about two months new to the blogging phenomena and so, I haven't had that much exposure to this freaky language and the inside jokes about Html and RSS. I have a list of folks on my Google reader and I've often seen the terms like "tag" and "meme" and "linkback". I have just found it all very confusing so I made like an ostrich and chose to ignore (until I found the time to query the urban dictionary, that is).

Well, I can't ignore it anymore because Maggie, a fellow neo non-smoker, tagged me and invited me to participate in my first ever meme.

So the theme of the meme (do they rhyme?) is Blogging Tips. Again, being so new to this, my tip is likely to be about as useful as Cox Cable's customer service. So here it goes. My comments are below each tip.

1. Look, read, and learn.
NeonScent

Has not helped me to glean the meaning of meme. Note to self: must find bifocals.

2. Be, EXCELLENT to each other.
Bushmackel

Of course. Spam and hatemail are evil.

3. Don’t let money change ya!
The Random Forest

WTF?!! Gosh, I don't know where to spend the dollar I've made so far. Coin laundry? Nope, too expensive. Vending machine? Ditto. Tooth fairy payments? Nope, inflation. I've got it! Quarter candy machine for 5 candies that taste like soap! Yeah!

4. Always reply to your comments.
Chattiekat

This has stumped me. Do you reply on your own blog or head over to theirs or email? How, I ask you, how?

5. Blog about what you know & love.
Sugar Queens Dream

Same advice for novelists and so far, I suck in that area.

6. Alt tag your images for added search engine exposure.
Fracas

I do not speak Greek. I'll add "alt tag" to that elusive research I've got to do.

7. Blogging is supposed to be fun, Don’t let it stress you!
WherewasI

Okay. I would be lying if I didn't admit that there is some self-imposed pressure to blog every day.

8. Don’t be afraid to comment on other bloggers sites!
Not Your Typical Granny

Comments good. Lurkers just one step shy of stalkers (kidding).

9. Post at least once a day!
Basenji Mom

Agree but who the hell can be interesting EVERY day. Except, of course for my blog roll. They rock. And Maggie's "quit meter" just tickles me every time I see it.

10. Have an informative About Me page
Marcus at willifordblog

But not that informative because the world is full of fucking CRAZY people and all I need is some guy showing up on my doorstep calling me a man-hating feminazi and asking me if I like to be spanked.

11. Blog it because it's too interesting/amusing not to share.
maggies mind

I will say that I'm always surprised at the email that I get on posts that I think are crappy.

And, here is my tip:

12. Keep a pen in your purse, car, pocket protector, whatever because blog material happens every single day and you need to write it down so you don't forget. Then take those scraps of paper and throw them in a bowl. When you are stuck for an original idea, pull one out.

I sound so brainy, don't I? Truth is, Steph gave me the tip. She doesn't blog (she is lurking goddess) but if she did, she'd be invitd to speak at BlogHer,(my secret dream...right up there getting a chance to say, "I want to thank the Academy....").

So there you have it. My first meme. I'm supposed to "tag" several others and show some "link love" but I don't know precisely what either of those terms mean so
Blog on!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

maggie said...

You are awesome. That was my first encounter with any of this, too ;)

RunninOnEmpty said...

I've been at this for over a year and you already sound more educated than me!! But you are right, blogging is cheaper than therapy :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for participating! Look, Read, and Learn means you Look at others' design, you Read their blog posts/articles, and you Learn from them. Hope that clears it up!
Also, the full list of blogging tips are here: http://neonscent.com/blog/2007/07/19/blogging-tips-web-meme/

Anonymous said...

Well, blow me down and jiminy christmas! WHAT??
Me,clueless as ever and unable to understand most of what the acronyms or other terms are for blogging, my only advice is a voice recorder. I've found the $38 Walmart device to be my closest confidante, aside from my mildy retarded pooch, who cannot remember a thing. It even has different folders to record your most instantaneous thoughts.