Saturday, November 3, 2007

Blog, blog, blog and more blog

This month, I am going to try to post every day. A friend of mine in the blogosphere had a post about participating in NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month). All I have to do is post something every day for the month of November. This is a lot harder than it sounds considering that sometimes it is more exciting to watch grass grow than chronicle my daily activities.

It's not that my life is always boring, per se, but when you know that your aunties and uncles are reading your posts, there is a certain amount of self imposed censorship that takes place. For instance, when I purchased my Harley, I didn't immediately pick up the phone and ring my mother to tell her about it because I knew that the waves of disapproval would hum down the telephone wires and soak my enthusiasm. My mum doesn't read my blog regularly and it just so happened that on the day I posted about my motorcycle acquisition, she tuned in. Coincidence? Not likely. I think a little sister bird or two whispered in her ear.

I can allude to events and use a bunch of metaphors that might be construed a different way but the truth is, I'm from a family that keeps secrets so they are understandably aghast that I write about my life for ANYONE to see. Oh, the horror! Canadians are generally a more socially conservative bunch than Americans and the only two topics that we really have a strong opinion on are hockey and beer (take off, eh). We identify with countries like Switzerland where the national policy is neutrality and secrecy rules. We're very vanilla. I keep using the plural first person, "we" but after fourteen years down here, who am I kidding? Any modesty I may have possessed disappeared while my feet were in stirrups... giving birth to my first child...in a teaching hospital. I've even lost most of my accent. And I use the word "fix" interchangeably with "going" as in, "I'm fixing to blister your lily white behind if you talk back to me again." And, I've learned to consume the odd American beer without commenting on it's similarity to donkey pee.

But I hopelessly digress, as usual.

So, I'll be blogging every day. Thank you ahead of time for sticking with me. I'll try to go in search of really funny events. If they fail to materialize, we can always fall back to the email I've received from the online dating thing. Really.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: