Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Let's Make A Deal

Just when I was sitting around the office wondering how I was going to earn my keep next year, an old friend of mine dumped an opportunity in my lap. At first glance, it looked pretty exciting but then again, I've had several things come my way over the last four years that I was convinced would buy me that villa in the south of France. Then, something would happen. A buyer would leave or the product would suddenly become unavailable and I'd watch the home run turn into a strike out.

So with a skeptic's eye and a pessimist's heart, I agreed to make a few phone calls because what the heck? After years of slinging mud at the hut, something was bound to stick one of these days.

Whatevah.

Then late last week, some of the elements of the deal started to come together and I allowed myself just a sliver of hope.

And I began to knock on wood.

In earnest.

However, I did not allow myself to pull out the calculator and speculate on commission income because that would indicate an emotional investment in the eventual outcome.

WHICH WOULD CAUSE LOCUSTS TO RAIN DOWN AND THE SEAS TO TURN TO BLOOD.

Instead, I shrugged it off, enjoyed my weekend and arrived at work Monday completely detached. To my amazement, still more pieces slid into place. I had to remind myself to keep my head down and just put one foot in front of the other. "Due diligence," I whispered. "Find the deal spoiler." Indeed.

And as fortune would have it, yesterday I was given a glimpse at the bastard proverbial wrench-in-the-deal person. You know the guy I'm talking about. He's the control freak with the hidden financial kickback agenda who enters a room wild-eyed with suspicion, convinced that the world is going to swindle him of his last penny. He squawks out of both sides of his mouth about integrity while deftly slipping the knife between your shoulder blades. I've been fortunate enough to walk the path with his type before so this time, I was able to spot him, anticipate his game and neutralize him before he had a chance to kill the deal.

I lightly fondled the calculator yesterday but still, I didn't go there. I just couldn't. My friend, who handed me the opportunity in the first place, called me at home last night. He was so excited. It was infectious. I felt it bubbling up inside of me, too. He was confident that the deal was 95% done.

Every minute or so during our conversation, I was knocking on wood and throwing salt over my shoulder.

Pure, unadulterated, wack a do.

The CEO and president of my company have been out of the country and are scheduled to return at the end of the week. It's been a challenging final quarter for all of us. If this deal gets done, it should be inked by Friday. It would be nice to tell them that we finally knocked one out of the park.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to be playing baseball a lot:) I hope you are able to knock this one out of the park!

Anonymous said...

The tides are a-changin' sista-have FAITH! :) That villa in France has our names on it too.
Maintenant, il faut choisir, St. Tropez, Cannes, ou Nice, par exemple?
Je t'aime et comme Julien m'a dit l'autre jour, "Maman, tu es FABULEUSE!!" Toi aussi, ma chère cousine, tu es certainement FABULEUSE aussi!
Joe Canadienne-comment est ton Français?

Me said...

Ma chére cousin de soeur,
Vous savez que mon français écrit est terrible mais je lui donnerai un essai. Je peux presque entendre les signes du fait de laper Méditerranéen contre la côte. Traversez-vous le coeur, vos doigts et vos yeux pour moi.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! J'ai TOUS compris!!
Fabuleuse ma belle!

Anonymous said...

The villa better have lots of room!!! I can't stand it when you two talk code!!
still love ya's though!!