Tuesday, November 13, 2007

O Canada!

Being a Canadian in the United States is nothing I think about much of the time. Sure, I talk differently than the natives in this area do but then again, so does most of the rest of the country.

My politics list to the left of center and I can't for the life of me believe that the framers of the constitution envisioned automatic weapons when they included the right to bear arms.

I speak metric and conversational French. I played hockey competitively and I am capable of laying you out flat against the boards. I love a cold, robust beer on a hot summer day. At Christmas time, we (my mother) make fruitcake but not that dark, grainy, foul kind. No, our cake is this light, buttery, melt-in-you-mouth delight that is prepared a month before it is served. My mother is probably working on one as we speak.

As a Canadian in America, I sometimes long for a few things native to my country. I miss our beer. I crave our chocolate. I yearn for over the counter codeine for that really stubborn hangover headache. Every time I fight with, swear at speak with my insurance company over a claim they refuse to pay, I get all misty and nostalgic for the free health care I once enjoyed.

Sometimes, I wonder what the heck I was thinking to move down here when I clearly stick out like a "Fargo" joke. And then April 15th comes. Each year, the American government allows me to DEDUCT my mortgage interest right off my gross income and for a split second, I am unable to even spell Canada.

The truth is that I am one of the most fortunate people on the planet. I get the best of both worlds.

As Canadians, we might not have a cohesive national identity but we sure have a sense of humour. Thanks to a friend for the video link.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: